I am pro-life with one exception: if a fertilized egg is lodged in the fallopian tube, it must be removed. An ectopic pregnancy WILL kill the mother and the fetus cannot possibly survive. This is a true “life of the mother” situation.
On this issue, I have been called an “extremist.” I have also been called a “brown-shirted, jack-booted, woman hater.” I have been called a “traitor to my gender.” I have been called a “religious right Yoda tanked up on ephedrine and Red Bull.” In print.
I recently received a candidate questionnaire from NARAL (National Abortion Rights Action League) Wyoming. They wanted to know if I will support bills protecting abortion access in our state.
I have developed my own questionnaire for NARAL, Planned Parenthood and my pro-choice friends:
1. Will you support a bill mandating that abortion clinics be within 30 miles of a hospital?
2. Will you support a bill mandating that abortion providers have admitting privileges at a local hospital?
3. Will you support waiting periods after initial abortion consultation?
4. Will you support legislation calling for the abortion provider to offer the mother a view of the ultrasound?
5. Will you support a bill calling for adoption counseling as part of a clinic’s protocol?
6. Will you support a bill calling for clients to be given a description of the abortion procedure and details of the risks of the abortion?
7. Will you support restrictions on fetal-pain-capable (20 weeks) abortions?
8. Will you support restrictions on selling aborted body parts?
9. Will you support restrictions on abortion for gender selection?
10. Will you support a bill calling for life saving measures for babies who survive an abortion?
11. Will you support restrictions on taxpayer-paid abortions?
12. Will you support restrictions on abortions for vague “mental health” reasons?
13. Will you support restrictions on abortions for rape or incest where there has been no police report of these crimes?
14. Will you support unannounced onsite inspections of your facilities by Wyoming officials?
15. In your opinion, is there any point in a pregnancy when abortions should not be performed?
My goal in developing this questionnaire was to determine if there were any areas of common ground on which the pro-life and pro-choice camps could meet.
My pro-life position has been called “extreme.” I would ask NARAL and Planned Parenthood to answer these 14 questions so that we may determine exactly who is “extreme” on this issue.